7.17.2011

Lazy ass pickling

So, I like to eat things pickled, pickled cucumbers, pickled asparagus, green beans, peaches, eggs.
Pickled things kick much ass. I started pickling last year.

This morning me and the lady went to the farmer's market and bought some jank. Pickling cucumbers, green beans, peaches, peppers, it was a bonanza.

So, I commenced to pickling when we got home. Before I first started pickling last year,
I did a lot of research. What I learned was it is a mother fuckload of work. Then, I found the fantastical world of refrigerator pickling. This is pickling that is just my style. Hours and hours of work? Pass. Clean jars, clean produce, and I am set.

Again, all produce needs to be washed.

Today I made pickled peaches, 2 different pickles, spicy garlicky green beans, and pepperoncini.

The peaches are pretty simple.

4 peaches, ripe, but not mushy.
1 c. water
1 c. vinegar
1/4 c. sugar
1 T sea salt.

Slice the peaches, put them in jar. combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt, whisk until
sugar and salt melt. Add to peaches, filling up the jar entirely. Seal jar, place in fridge.

I have made these before and only let them soak for 2 hours, and they were really good. I plan to let these go for about 3 days. They are great with goat cheese, great in a salad, served with brie.




The pickles are equally easy. Again, wash them thoroughly. Wash the jars thoroughly, if you must, run em in the dishwasher, it gets hot enough to sterilize.

This recipe made 2 quarts.

1 1/2 lbs pickling cucumbers, washed and cut in half lengthwise
1/4 c. sugar (you can use a lot more if you want bread and butter, I fucking hate bread and butter pickles, so I use very little)
2 c. water
2 c. vinegar

Here I split the recipe. For one jar I added 5 cloves of minced garlic (not a fine mince, kinda chunky mince), 4 sprigs of dill (from the backyard garden), 1 T. of salt, 1/4 c. thin sliced red onion and black pepper. Sadly I had no peppercorns, my shame is great. Fill bottom of jar with cucumbers, add all that junk I just listed, then fill to rim with water/vinegar solution.

For second jar, I added dill, 3 cloves of garlic and 1/2 of a seeded, sliced jalapeno. Then filled to rim with brine. Seal, refrigerate. I used this same recipe for green beans.

The pickles will be ready to eat in about 3-4 days. The longer you leave them in the fridge, the better they will get. I kept mine last year for about a month or so in the fridge, and they didn't go basd, I never got the poo poo's from them.






Pickle away my friends. It's easier than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment